Discussion Topics / Thought Starters
The "Third and Long" content can be used to foster discussion about topics such as integration, diversity, equality and self-empowerment. Below are a few thought starters and activities to help initiate a discussion:
- Talk to a parent or grandparent who participated in World War II and ask them about their expereinces. Did they encounter racism or discrimination?
- Identify key legislation that was critical to growth of the Civil Rights Movement. Explain the impact that the legislation had on race relations in the United States.
- What was the role of women, both Black and White, in the Civil Rights Movement?
- What role has sports played in racial progress in this country?
- Name individuals in other professional sports who broke down racial barriers in their respective sports.